Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Prayer

Prayer

Matthew 7:7
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

This is what Jesus said. This is a promise from Him. Several years ago I heard a preacher preach about the power of prayer and this promise. Matthew 6:33 says “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Jesus said this also. The preacher talked about how God will provide for us and give us the things that we need if we only ask Him. That is what prayer is, it’s asking. He said that if we ask God for what we want, he will answer our prayer; he will give us exactly what we want.

I took that preacher seriously. I had a major need, in fact my son had a major need and I had no way of providing that need for him. I was powerless and I needed God more than anything. I’ve always prayed about the things that I need and I’ve always seen an answer from God. It’s always been fairly clear at first and completely clear over time what God’s answers are. It’s not always what I expect. So I’ve come to expect the unexpected from God’s answer to my prayers. But somehow I still manage to desire God to see things more my way than His.

When I prayed for my son, I was expecting something that didn’t happen. Over time, I began to see how God was working on my prayer. I still can’t see the whole answer, but I’m still having faith. So the question is, why doesn’t God see things my way and why doesn’t he give me what I want?

The answer is, He does do just that. Now, I’m not an expert on the Bible. I’ve never been to Seminary and I’m not really that intelligent. But I’ve experienced God’s mercy and grace. I’ve witnessed God work on my own heart and on those around me. I feel compelled to write this blog because of this. Hopefully you will be encouraged to pray and expect an answer.

God sees things my way and he gives me things that I ask for. Prior to about a year ago, I thought it would be impossible for me to buy a house in California. There was no way that I could afford even an adjustable rate mortgage. You might ask, does God really care about me owning a house and having a mortgage? I realized that I tend to separate God from those everyday things that I think I have to solely be responsible for. So one day, I asked. I asked for a house. Then it all made sense to me. Why wouldn’t I ask my Heavenly Father for a house? Who else would I ask?

The way I asked was important. I asked God that if it was his will, would he give me a house? I said that I desired to own a house and I didn’t know how I could better serve Him by owning a house, but I would if it was His will. Now, God is not a magic genie that grants any wish I desire. He is like a father that teaches and raises his children and gives them what they need. I’ve found that it’s important to desire what God wants for me. I’ve found that His way works better than my way.

Oh, by the way, He gave me a house. I asked and He answered with an astounding, YES, you can have a house. In remembering that God gave us this house, we’ve taken care of it and opened our home for fellowship. But I was still waiting to see what God wanted us to use our house for. How could we use it for Him? I’ve recently found out that He was using it for us, for my son. I won’t get into the details in this blog, but I might in the next one.

I see God still answering my prayer from several years ago about my son. I don’t know why he’s waited several years. And I don’t know if he will wait several more. But I’ve been praying about specific things lately and I see “doors” opening. I’ve been scared and anxious, but I know that He is already answering that first prayer with another astounding, YES. I know I have no need to be anxious, so I’ve been praying for peace for myself and my family.

My hope and prayer is that you, the reader, will pray. Pray for something, anything. It doesn’t matter what you want or what your need is, God will answer. Ask for His will, ask God to give you what he desires for you. You will see an answer to your prayer. It may be exactly what you expected, but more than likely you will see even more than what you asked for. When you see God working, let Him work more. Let Him keep going through your entire life until He has every part of your life in His hands. You will not regret it. You will see things that you never thought possible.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dammit Adam...no more making me tear up!


Good , good post.

I think I want to share it with others now.

Unknown said...

hi thats really nice message.I love d thoughts & ur friendship with God